Nominations Open for the Carl Rom Colthoff Experiential Learning Award 2023
The Experiential Learning Hub is now accepting nominations for the Carl Rom Colthoff Experiential Learning Award. This award was established with a donation from University of Guelph alumnus Carl Rom Colthoff (2012), in honour of the many passionate and involved students he encountered during his time at the University. It is presented annually to a student who has participated in a University-organized experiential learning (EL) opportunity (eg. a Catalyst experience, a community-engaged learning course, a field course, the Peer Helper Program, a practicum, a URA/USRA etc.) and, because of their experience, the student has taken initiative to contribute more significantly to their community.
This award will be presented to a successful applicant/nominee for whom supporting evidence clearly demonstrates the impact that their EL experience has had on their subsequent leadership or involvement within a community. This award consists of a certificate of honour, and a monetary award of $500. The winner of the award will be announced and celebrated on the Experiential Learning Hub website and social media in the month of March.
Nominations are open from January 30, 2023 - February 28, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
The recipient of the award must be a current University of Guelph student in good standing. Students who graduated in the fall semester immediately preceding the award deadline are also eligible to apply. Criteria includes:
- The student has contributed to the University of Guelph campus community during their time as a student through participation in extra-curricular activities, committee work, and/or other involvements. Involvement within the division of Student Affairs will be given strong consideration.
- The student has contributed to the greater social good in a broader community- either the community of Guelph or another community, including communities defined by markers of identity such as race, faith, ethnicity, sexuality, or gender- in a significant way.
- Strong consideration will be given to students who have taken on leadership roles within their community, or who have taken initiative to create a service, platform, or organization that addresses a community need.
- Students involved in initiatives that advance equity, inclusion and well-being are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The application letter must state how the student’s involvement in a University of Guelph organized experiential learning activity has directly contributed toward their broader community involvement and impact.
Required Supporting Documentation
Nomination packages must be submitted via the online Carl Rom Colthoff EL Award nomination form and include a completed nomination form and the outlined supporting documentation. Documentation included in the nomination should serve to illustrate how the nominee embodies the specific award criteria. PDFs are preferred. Supporting documentation includes:
- A letter of nomination that provides evidence that the nominee has contributed to the University of Guelph and broader community in the manner outlined above;
- One (1) Letter of Support from a staff or faculty member indicating the student’s involvement in a University of Guelph organized experiential learning activity, and how it connects to their ongoing community involvement;
- One (1) Letter of Support from a recognized organization/initiative (on or off campus) indicating how this student has applied their experiential learning to make a significant impact in their community; and
- One (1) Letter of Support (optional) from any community member or staff in support of the student receiving this award.
Completed Nomination Form (required)
Letter of nomination (required)
Two or more letters of support (required)
Other documentation to support the nomination package (Example: resume, quotes, emails, newspaper articles, letters, etc.) (optional)
Fill out the Carl Rom Colthoff Experiential Learning Award Nomination Form by February 28, 4:00 p.m.!
For any questions about the Carl Rom Colthoff Experiential Learning Award, please contact email@example.com.