Some Things To Consider If You Would Like To Work Abroad


  • Work Visa - There are limitations when applying so learn what it involves. Things to consider are if you are a Canadian citizen, if you are between the ages of 18 and 30, and if you would like to work abroad for up to a year.

  • Cost - Although you plan to make money while you are abroad, international work experiences can be expensive. There are costs to applying for visas, travelling, and re-location, so do your homework!

  • Networking - Talk to family, friends, and co-workers to learn from their experiences. Have they travelled abroad before? Worked in another country? 

  • Where to go - If you're trying to narrow your choices think about whether you speak other languages, or what climate and culture you are looking for.

  • Employer - Many large and small companies have locations both in Canada and abroad.

  • Risks - During international work terms, it is important for you to know that you may be exposed to certain risks. The Centre for International Programs has advised CECS to be clear about the possible risks for our students who participate in international work terms. These risks may include, but are not limited to, death, injury, and/or loss of personal property due to: civil disorder, assault, sexual assault, kidnappings, violent crime, theft, fraud, petty crime, communicable diseases, environmental conditions, terrorist activities, natural disasters, acts of God, and/or traffic accidents. It is your responsibility to abide by the laws of the host country and to ensure you have adequate medical, personal health, dental and accident insurance coverage, as well as protection of your personal possessions. You should not participate in any activity, including political activity, which might endanger you, your local hosts and/or University of Guelph partners.